Visitor Memories

[Visitor information] [Visitor Notes] [Visitor Memories]

A page for the memories and stories of people who lived here, and in some cases what happened after they left, and for their families and friends to pass on the stories they have been told.

I remember that to get to Perth, you either had to wait until Saturday to get the bus (it left from the Hall) or walk down to Waulkmill and get the boat across the Tay, then walk up and get the bus from Stanley into Perth and the same coming back.  Another thing was that there were no baths, or showers, and you had to go to one of the wash houses and use one of the old tin baths filled with water from the washy boiler.

Fish for pearls with a bucket and a stick at the fishponds.
Guddle for salmon and trout when they drained the lade
.      from Bob Smith

I used to stay at Stormontfield during my  seven week holidays at my aunt and uncles (Mr & Mrs Bob Wallace, they stayed  in the middle of the cottages along from the big house where the Scotts stayed,  I think this was the managers house), going through you site, I saw another  couple of lads we played with, Johnny Black,  Roddy Godfrey, also my late cousin  Billy Wallace, I was wondering, the cottages that my aunt and uncle stayed in, I  cannot remember them having upstairs, I do remember, that along at the end of  the cottages there was a long wooden stair that went up to I think a german  woman house, it was nice seeing the old place again, brought back a lot of good  memories.  yours Bob Smith

 I hadn't realized just how much I had written. My memory of those days is quite good but ask me what I did yesterday and I haven't a clue.
The article from Steven Godfrey mentioning his grandfather Hugh Godfrey triggered a memory although I could be wrong, The man I am thinking of was middle aged and lived at Boag cottages. He had one leg amputated just above the knee and got around using one of those Y  shaped wooden  crutches which tuck under the arm. He often used to come down to the the bleach field (located behind the works) to watch us play football. He would start off just watching then decide to act as linesman then get so involved he'd take over as referee. He could belt up and down the pitch as fast as any of us. On occasion he just had to join in and have a kick at the ball, using his crutch he would snaffle the ball off someone and then placing his stump through the Y of the crutch and then balancing on the crutch he'd kick the ball and gallop off after it to have another go. He thoroughly enjoyed those games with us exhausting as they must have been. I hope I have got the right name for this gentleman if not then I'm sure some one can correct me.
One of these days/years, my number two son Robert is threatening to take me back along with his son to see where the old place once stood so you never know one day we might meet.  Meanwhile kind regards
Peter Soutar.

The cotton sheeting came from England, Ireland and India, raw and untreated and in one continuous length. There were various widths: 70”, 80” and 90”.  After an initial wash at our Parent Company at Huntingtower, Stormontfield started the process of bleaching, dying, cutting and stitching into sheets according to the size the customers required.  Stormontfield did mostly white sheeting which was in demand by hospitals and hotels, for example.  Occasionally they did coloured sheeting for Huntingtower, who also had a dying plant.  After boiling, the cloth went through various stages,  bleaching and rinsing till the shade of white was reached. ‘I never knew there could be so many different shades of white’.
More from this article on The Lade
Bleaching Mill page
Mr Brown, Bridge of Earn

My mother was brought up at the Ponds [Fishponds] in the 20's and 30's, she was
Kathy Morgan.  She was brought up by her Aunt and Uncle Mr and Mrs Joe Scrimgeour
after her father
Corporal JOHN MORGAN was killed in WW1 and her mother died in the 1919
flu pandemic. I will look out some photographs I have of the area and will email
them to you.                Wonderful site brought back many happy memories.
Neil Savage - Alcaidesa, Spain

Dear Pauline, I've been trawling through the "storrie" web site again and came across the article about the settling pond in front of boag cottages. I remember once when it was decided to drain the pond and clear out all the rubbish .....
More on
Peter Soutar’s Page & Boag Cottages

 I think I'll begin by elaborating on the sanitary conditions prevailing in Stormontfield  during the war years.  I skipped briefly over the  outside toilet facilities in my previous notes  i.e. the "lavvy". This was a wooden leanto attached to each family's coal/wood shed. The seat was a flat wooden plank ...
More on Peter Soutar’s page

I have just spent the last hour or so reading your interesting it was..brought back so many memories.

My name is Cindy Buchan....I, along with my family lived in Stormontfield from 1966 - 1972. My family consisted of my dad, James (Jim), mum -June, sister - Anne & brother - James. We lived in "Beechwood Cottage", between the recreation hall & farm.

My dad was the engineer at the bleach works...he worked there until the fire in 1971. It was me who first noticed the fire...I was home from school for lunch & was outside when I saw flames coming from the factory...I alerted my dad...who at first didn't believe me, then of course he realised I wasn't joking...he ran over to the factory & in fact he rescued Mr Bathgate, who had gone back into the blazing building because his bike was there.(anyone who remembers Mr Bathgate will remember his bike with the basket on the front!). My name was mentioned on the 6 o' clock  news!  I was only 7!

I remember lots of families mentioned on your page...the Walkers, Hutchisons, Bathgates, Husbands, Scrimgeours, Lizzie Strathearn, Miss Betty & Jenny, & many more..all bringing back lots of memories. My parents kept in contact with quite a few of them....Mrs Bathgate who moved to Edinburgh up until she died a few years back & also Miss mum was still getting christmas cards until just a few years ago, they lived in Coldstream.  My mum used to babysit for one of the Hutchisons & I can remember taking one of them for walks in their pram!

My sister Anne & I attended the primary school run by Mrs Bathgate & we have very fond memories. I can still remember how it looked inside & it was great to see some of your photos. I can remember the trips to Edinburgh, Loch Leven etc...all lots of fun.

We moved to Aberfeldy in dad got a job in Dewars distillery. My mum, brother & sister still live there...I live in Glasgow with my 2 children. It has been many years since I have visited Stormontfield, but having visited your site, has prompted me to go there. I know it is much different, but just to be there & picture it in my head how it used to be, will bring back so many memories.

I have an article from "People's Journal" newspaper dated October 1972, the year after the fire, has a piece of writing and also a picture of the derelict building of the bleach works with my sister & i standing on it. I can still remember that photo being taken 36 years later! I can scan this article (although it's a bit faded in places), & send it to you.  I’m sure it will be of interest to many who lived there at the time.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who lived there at this time, and share memories.

Regards  Cindy Buchan

Further to my epistle on the secret weapon i.e the mortar bomb thrower which nearly sunk the bosses car. I remember another occasion when it was decided the defenses of Storry ought to be tested.  So it was arranged that the home guard from Guildtown would be the attackers. It must have been either a Saturday or Sunday so everyone could be off work. I guess the main target would have been to take and occupy the bleachworks itself. The first line of defense was set up in and around the school. A bunch of us kids were watching from a distance and were told to keep out of sight as the enemy were approaching. our men knew this because a youth had cycled up the road past Colenden as far as Colen Farm and spotted them marching down the road.  He came racing back to warn the defenders and all six of them took up their positions. The enemy, meanwhile, had fanned out across the field behind the church, there must have been at least a dozen of them, some had crossed the burn and over the road to the field in front of the school, then all hell broke loose. Our men opened fire (blanks of course), thunder flashes were thrown men were yelling at each other. I was close enough to hear one of the enemy who had thrown a potato shout "that's a grenade your dead" but it was thrown back with the words "it didnae go off... your dead" We kids thought this was great we were witnessing the war at first hand, we never knew who won. There was a serious side to it all as well of course, every week the men would muster at the shooting range in a barn at the corn mill near Waulkmill and practice with live amunition.  I can remember helping my grandad--Will Christie--to take his rifle apart, clean it, oil it, and put it together again.  Happy days    Peter Soutar

Hi , I am just dropping you a line to let you know  about my dads family - the Godfrey family who were born and brought up at the  boag cottages stormontfield , my grandmother Ina Godfrey (nee wallace) my  grandad Hugh Godfrey my eldest aunt Doreen Todd (nee Godfrey)  my next aunt  edith simpson (nee Godfrey) and my dad Norman "norrie"  Godfrey and my  uncle Rhoderick  "roddy" Godfrey who was the youngest were all brought  up in Stormontfield , they all went to school there and at some point worked in  the mill  apart from my uncle roddy who worked on mansfield estate in the  sawmill,  my grandad was in the beetling mill , my dad was foreman in the  blueing/finishing department , my grandmother and two aunts also worked  there, all are still alive apart from my grandparents , there ages  range from 74-65 , all still fairly active and will I am sure have many a story  to tell my dad or relatives, could no doubt could add to your site ...many thanks.
Steven Godfrey, Perth

Hello:  Here are a few old Stormontfield pictures (pictures are on Old community page) I've scanned into the computer.  I've kept these ones quite small so as not to overwhelm e-mail servers. I can send larger ones if you'd like, or a CD with the full-sized versions. Let me know.

I'm afraid I don't know many of the names and unfortunately most of the pictures were unmarked. I'm in a few of the school and fancy-dress ones (a rather unhappy looking clown), as is my sister Anne and brother Iain. My Mum, who was in the teacher at the time, is also in a good few. Hope you enjoy them and can use some on the web site.
                                                                             from Rob Wilson, Ontario, Canada.

I have just re-visited the site and it has brought back quite a few memories.  One in particular was, as a young lad along with others of my age (5 years old) we would follow and watch the Stormontfield home guard as they drilled and practised "manoeuvres" in preparation to defend "Storrie" in case of invasion.  Some of the men in this troop were as far as I can remember: Captain Robinson (the boss), Joe(Josie) Strathern  (Quartermaster), Joe Scrimgeor, Jock Wallace, Jim Scott, Dave Scott, Will Cristie (my grandfather), and others I can't recall.  Someone had had a brainwave and with the help of the local blacksmith (Tam Page) the team had devised a highly mobile mortar gun; a three foot long tube swivel mounted on a set of pram wheels with bicycle handlebars welded to the rear.  The Idea was that the gunner, lying prone, could track and aim ahead of a moving target i.e. a tank, the mortar bomb would in theory hit the tank at the spot chosen by the gun aimer, a trial was held in the fields behind the bleach.  The target, a large canvas screen rigged on wires stretched across the field, and attached by a series of pulleys to the bosses car, thus as the car was driven forward or backwards along the adjoining road (beside the lade), the target would move across the field from one side to the other.  All went well initially the men taking turns at aiming or loading the dummy mortars, until somehow the wires became snagged and the target got too close to the bosses car, a bomb landed just a few feet from the car and the project was promptly abandoned - we kids thought it was brilliant.     Peter Soutar.

Our son took my husband and l to the ruin of Cambusmichael Church late on a summer’s afternoon, it was so sad to see, it obviously once was a lovely little Church.

My son finds it a very peaceful place and visits when he is feeling low. My husband Michael and l too felt the peacefulness there, not just influenced by the beautiful countryside and the glowing colours of an oncoming sunset, but a general feeling of restfulness.

Our son and his wife made their home in Scotland 7 years ago now just down the road from this little ruined Church, they were married at St Martins and the family came up from East Sussex and other parts of the world to celebrate their marriage.

Our son sent us a photo that he had taken on one of his visits to Cambusmichael; itorb02 was a lovely summers evening, his wife had to go and put some horses in their stable for the night so he decided to drive the short way up to the Church and took a picture of his refurbished Jeep that he had just finished.  When he put the photo’s up on his computer he was surprised to see the orbs (which you can clearly make out one on top of the Jeep one just below the wheel arch.  No it had not been raining and there was nothing on the lens.

Have you come across anyone else that has had this experience? We have showed other people this photo and they also agree there was definitely a presence of someone or something!

We have been coming up to Scotland for 50 years and love it, although we cannot walk as much as we used to we still enjoy the train journeys and seeing the many species of wildlife that you have. Many places we have visited but have never found the peacefulness of the little ruin in the middle of nowhere called Cambusmichael.                                                               Yours sincerely,    Michael & Brenda Moore.   East Sussex

My name is Eddie Clark and we lived at Colenden from 1953-55, when I was 8-10 years old.  My sister, Margaret, started school there.  We lived in the cottage second from the end, next to the Tates.  My granddad, Dave Clark, worked as a stoker at the mill and my mum, Jean, worked in the bleachworks.  John Black told me about this site, which is a wonderful trip down memory lane and brings those almost forgotten names alive again.  I have been fortunate to steal back to Colenden occasionally just to enjoy a few hours peace & quiet, and the beauty of the place.  It was a perfect place for a boy growing up, and although we didn't speak in such terms back then, I certainly had depression symptoms when we left!  I must mention our teach, Mrs. Wilson, who somehow from a pool of only 25 children managed to hone us to win first place in choir & dancing at the annual competition in Perth 2 years in a row.  I still love Scottish Country Dancing.  She was all-round an excellent teacher.
May I suggest you add Friends Reunited to your links - that is how John found me just a couple of months ago, and there may be more of us out there!
Thanks for a beautiful website, and I hope I can contribute more of substance at a later time.
Eddie Clark,
Houston, TX

Hi,  My name is Karen Alexander nee Hutchison. My family consisted of myself , my mother Margaret, father David and brothers Kevin and Scott.  We lived in Stormontfield in the 60's before emigrating to Sydney Australia in Jan 1971. We were devastated when we heard of the fire 6 months later and to this day mum still has the newspaper clipping sent to us by a family member. My parents both worked in the Bleach works and my brother Kevin and I attended the local one teacher school run by Mrs Bathgate with Mrs Walker the farmer's wife preparing our school dinners. Mr Bathgate from memory used to do all the odd jobs around the school and was always happy to stop for a chat when an inquisitive child would have a hundred questions that needed answered.  Mr Walker was the farmer and Miss Betty and Miss Jenny were the land ladies who had a canny knack of knowing when we were climbing trees when we weren't supposed to be.  Mr Scott the mill manager was often called for emergencies and had to make a few journeys into town to Perth Royal Hospital for one reason or another when one of us kids (me included) required medical attention.  The Scott's had a little white west highland terrier that used to give us our daily exercise on the way home from school. Everyday we would cross the little wooden bridge that crossed the lade and as soon as  the dog heard us she would chase us to the beginning of the flats.  We used to spend our days roaming around the neighbourhood, trying to count the dead frogs that would get squashed by cars as they leapt out of the lade trying to cross the road. We would also dance to " I'm a little Dutch boy & girl " on top of a large shipping container that was outside the mill next to the phone booth ( this has since long gone) and we would try and guess which cows were having twins.  I remember our excitement when Maureen McLeish was getting married and we were all waiting to see her leave after the service. Maureen was in the first Commonwealth Games after we came to Australia  and I can remember we sat around the TV cheering her on.

My brother Kevin and I are in the school photo on the site (Kevin is shown to be Scott) and I know mum has a few other photo's that I will try and send via email soon. She has one of Colin Walker, Catriona Walker ,  Ruth Husband, Andrew Scrimger and myself
taken at Loch Levin by a couple of ladies from Maine Canada when we were on a school
excursion. The ladies later sent a box of maple syrup candies to the school with the photos and a letter. In 1984 my parents , myself and my Australian husband Sam all came back to Scotland and made a trip out to Stormontfield to see the old town. Mum and I were a bit disappointed that things were so different to what we remembered but
it was great to see things such as the school and church and cottages still standing. My cousins Uncle and Aunt recently came out to Stormontfield and took some photos for us but  Sam and I are returning to Scotland this year  (hopefully for a white Xmas ) and we are bringing our 3 daughters , Astrid, Liesl and Kylene  with us and we will be planning a day trip to Stormontfield.

Can you please advise if there are any days where we may be able to see inside the school and church  as I would dearly love the girls to see what it was like in "the olden days". We lost touch with our friends in Stormontfield partly due to the fire and everyone having to move on but the names and faces still are as clear as yesterday. I remember when the school numbers were down to single figures and I think it grew to about 27 at one stage. One visitor to the site Allan Ogg was a neighbour and also attended the school. Other families living in Stormontfield at the same time as us were the Buchans, Scrimgers, Walkers and the Husbands. There were others and the faces are familiar but the names escape me at this time. Both of my parents are still living although my father did have a major stroke in 2001 and has resided in a nursing home since. Mum resides with my brother Scott and Kevin and his family reside on the Central Coast. I will see what photo's I can gather and I will send them over and hopefully they will help others recall special memories of their childhood.  I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully we will  be able to arrange a visit of the school and church between Dec 24th and January 10th.    
  Regards    Karen Alexander

While recently re-visiting the stormontfield web site I was  pleasantly surprised to come across the article by Peter Sowden of Eltham  London. re-the Soutars of colenden, who seem to have branched off in different  directions, and lost contact. My father Walker Soutar 1904-1991. -son of Peter  Soutar and Elizabeth nee Pennycook, never mentioned an uncle Will, although he  signed as a witness at my grandfather's wedding - June 1900. My father  (walker) married Mary Magregor Christie daughter of William Christie (a beetler)  and Georgina nee Kiddie also of Stormontfield. I was born at hillhouse in 1936 and lived in Stormontfield until I was 10 years old. I know many of the names and faces posted on the web site e.g. Mary Mcliesh and her brothers Frank, Jack and  Scott. Mr. Sowden also mentions my uncle William Mowat who lived in the ferryman's  house at Waulkmill until he died aged 104. He may be interested to know that  his daughter Janet now lives there with her husband, should anyone ask for any  further information/anecdotes etc. please contact me.  (eMail address provided, please contact Stormontfield Heritage for address)                                                                                                                      Peter Soutar

My grandfather, William Soutar (1877-1968), was born in Field Cottages.  He
spoke very fondly of Stormontfield as a lovely place to grow up.  His father
Walker Soutar (1844-1907) was stoker of the boiler/"fireman" at the Mill.  My
grandfather's mother, Mary (1845-1927), lived as a widow in Colenden.  She was
apparently "Granny Soutar" to everyone - unofficial midwife, layer-out of the
dead and so on.  My grandfather's sister Janet (1878-1963) also worked in the Mill,
living in retirement in the Douglas Cottages in Scone.  William's elder brother
Peter's (1872-1939) daughter, Janet (born 1900), was married in 1922 to
Will Mowat, who was sometime head forrester to the Duke of Buccleuch, and who
lived in retirement, living to over 100, in the Waulkmill Ferry House.  Your visitor
of February 2004, Peter Soutar, from Portsmouth, is I expect the grandson of my
grandfather's elder brother, and therefore a long-lost (in fact never known)
second cousin.  We have visited Stormontfield, very happily, a couple of times.
Your website is very interesting, and excellent.   
Peter Sowden. Eltham, London

Forgive me for taking the liberty of contacting you but I have just spent the last hour looking through Stormontfield Heritage and oh my goodness what memories
it has. I spent the first 7 1/2 years of my life at the Boag Cottages, my pals Daughter now lives there, in Sept. 1948 my family moved to the "top of the hill" Innerbuist Cottages where I stayed until 1960. My parents were Harry and Meg McLeish, they moved from there after the fire in 1971. Sadly both my parents have passed away, my Mother in 1976 and my Dad 1989.

I was passing the end of the road leading to Stormontfield this afternoon coming from Blairgowrie and it prompted me to look up the Heritage site and I am glad I did but I will say I also had a few tears at the memories it brought back.
Oh happy days!!!!!!!!!!!!!      
Kindest regards  Mary McLeish

What memories.

My mother sadly now deceased was Alison Page and lived in Colenden. My grandfather was the village blacksmith and sadly I remember my grandmother being an invalid, though I know she was not when I was little.

We used to spend all of the summer in Colenden, sleeping in a large hut in the garden to the sound of a waterfall from the burn at the bottom of the garden. My memories are of playing from dawn to dusk (and later) in the woods behind the cottages, fishing in the burn, pumping water from a pump in Colenden, harvest time, and "helping" with the stooks, and school. Why school? Well we lived in England and our holidays were different so in mid August all the children went back to school, so my sister and I did as well as "guest pupils". I can remember earning money by picking  rose hips, the best being found over the Tay at Walkmill Ferry. I cannot remember many names though apart from a family of boys in the end cottage, the Taits.

Sadly  my grandmother's illness meant that the family moved to Scone and our visits to Colenden ceased. We did visit my aunt Rita Harrier in Guildtown a lot however.
 Tempus fugit, however and that link is now fading even faster with the deaths of all my mothers brothers and sisters (Bob Page, David Page, Bunty Page and Rita Page)

It was sad a few years ago, when I took my wife and children to see the  village and Colenden a few years ago and a "jobsworth" challenged us for walking along what was then (and assume is now) a private road and virtually ordered us to move on.

I am sure we have lots of photos somewhere from about 1955 - 1963 or so which is when we visited quite a lot. There are also photos of  mum getting married in St Davids chapel to Henry Taylor.

For me the journey from Lincolnshire to Endinburgh, over the Forth Bridge to Perth and then Colenden was magical, like stepping back in time.
Perhaps one day I will get back to this little haven of paradise.
     Stuart Taylor, Oxon

“Dear People of Stormontfield
Some of your readers and local residents may remember my mother, Margaret Wilson (teacher in the early 1950sMargaret Wilson, who was the teacher at Stormontfield School in the early 1950s.  The web site has a particularly good picture of her with a school choir, taken in Perth, as well as a class picture outside the school.  My sister, Anne, is in a couple of the photos, including the one of the choir, and I expect I’m in the class picture.  I’m afraid I can’t recall any specifics, but the photos certainly bring back fond memories.
I am writing to let you know that my mother passed away recently, aged 92 in Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada.  My father, David Wilson died eight years ago in the western city of Medicine Hat, Alberta.  My brother Iain also predeceased her.  Bill, the oldest of the four kids, is living in Saskatchewan.
In our years in Stormontfield - the first school I attended, the family moved to Ruthvenfield, immigrating to Canada in August 1957.  My mother continued as a teacher over here in the city of Oshawa, Ontario, just east of Toronto, latterly teaching special-education classes in a local high school.  My father worked there in the General Motors car factory.
My parents eventually retired to the small Ontario village of Bancroft, near Algonquin Park, where they had a summer cottage.  There they ran an antique/second -hand store for a number of years.  They later travelled extensively across Canada and the United States and, like nomads, drove across Canada when well into their 70s to settle in the prairie city of Medicine Hat.
After my father died, Anne, who was also out west, moved back to Ontario with my mother - driving across the country in a rather old truck with the family cat and dog.  My mother, in her 80s for that trip always seemed to enjoy a great adventure.  Anne lived with, and looked after Mum for several years, though eventually age and arthritis required that my mother move into a nursing home.
 Some people my remember my grandmother, Catherine MacLeod, who was also a teacher and lived with us while we were in Stormontfield.  She also lived with us in Canada for several years in the 1960s, where she developed a fondness for ice hockey and the Beatles, before returning to Scotland.
My most vivid memory of Stormontfield involves my discovery of centrifugal force.  I had been sent from the house to Fender's farm to collect some fresh milk.  We had our own small pail with a handle specifically for carrying the milk, which came pretty much straight from the cow in those days.  On the way back up the road I learned that if I swung the open-topped pail around and around fast enough centrifugal force would keep the milk safely in the pail.  I was quite proud of myself until the vigourous swinging ripped the handle clean off the pail.  That’s when I learned that centrifugal force will also send a pail full of milk flying quite some distance through the air.  I don’t recall being sent to fetch milk ever again”!
    With best wishes                 Rob Wilson, Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

“This picture of the works at Stormontfield was taken about 1913 and feature Lumsden & mill with new wagon in frontMackenzie’s new three-ton Garrett steam wagon.  This wagon was painted smoke grey and lettered in red.  The driver is one of the Adams family from Errol (that family employed various steam engines for pulling and driving threshing mills etc.).  My grandfather, John Black, standing next to the driver, was fireman, but later went on to drive this and subsequent steam wagons for the company.  (One of the photographs on your Stormontfield web-site shown him and Bob Wallace standing beside a five-ton tipping Foden in 1919).  A ploughman on various farms in the Sidlaws, he had moved to Stormontfield about 1903 to drive horses at Innerbuist Mill, delivering meal to customers in the neighbourhood.  About 1905, he took employment at the bleach works where he drove a horse-drawn lorry hired to Lumsden & Mackenzie by the railway contractors, Wordie & Co, switching to work on the wagon when L & M changed over to steam.  In 1919 Lumsden & Mackenzie replaced their Garret with the five-ton tipping, Foden steam wagon, referred to above.  That, in time, was replaced by larger more modern wagons, all Fodens”.            Jim Black, Burntisland

“I was fortunate to spend many summers at my grandparents in the late 50’s and 60’s.  The memories of my summers in Stormontfield are so strong and, as with many childhood memories full of sunshine and blue skies!   Between the farm and the recreation hall stood ‘Beechwood Cottage’.  The inhabitants were David and Christina Elder - my paternal grandparents.  My father James and his sister Margaret (Rita) grew up in Beechwood cottage.
Grandfather came from Pitcairn Green, he was a keen and excellent gardener, he was the foreman in the Damping House at the mill.  The garden at the cottage was always immaculate and full of vegetables, but I do not recall many flowers.  My Grandmother had a bleaching green on the part of the garden adjacent to the Recreation hall, an expanse of grass with four posts in a square with a line for the laundry.   Beechwood Cottage was a wonderful house, it was a weather boarded bungalow, as I recall it was built in a square shape and was sited almost centrally in the plot between farm and hall.  The south, or front door, was not used much.  The north side where the back door was situated faced onto the road.  I do remember a meat safe on that north facing wall.
The farm next to the Cottage was run by Jimmy Walker, his eldest son Stuart was my age.  There were four other children as far as I can remember - Sylvia, Valerie, Colin and Catriona.  They moved from the farmhouse to Innerbuist Mill sometime in the 1960’s.  It was with Stuart and my Grandfather that I used to watch St. Johnstone play at Muirton park.  Our summers used to coincide with the League cup fixtures that would start in August in those days.  My father James, came to England just after the War as a young professional footballer, and his pal from the Robert Douglas Memorial School in Scone, Frank Christie, also travelled south as a footballer”
  Ian Elder, Suffolk

“Harvest scene at Stormontfield Farm sometime in the 1930s.  Three horseslarger photo on stormontfield farm page are pulling the binder which is driven by Sandy Cochrane.  The farmer, Will Turner, stands on the left beside my grandfather, John Black who was ‘lend a hand’.  Will Turner and my grandfather were ‘cronies’ and of an evening would occasionally challenge each other to an unofficial ploughing match.  The farm provided milk for some of the villagers - as a child, it was one of my father’s duties to take the family’s milk flagon round and leave it on the step for Mrs Turner and call later to collect the full flagon.   Jim Black, Burntisland.

Scone Palace was a place with "water dripping down the walls" when my grandparents moved in early in the century, after the Gordon riots scared them out of London. One girl from Bridge of Earn who succumbed to my debatable charms enough to visit me at Scone, almost refused to climb the steps, because of the feeling of overwhelming drama the place conjured (it was dusk).
Stormontfield though is a beautiful place that was the scene for many beautiful walks and learning adventures, something that the world can never take from me.                         
James W. Murray, Perth

Ken Scott
Carnoustie, Angus, GB

Great to see the photos of the old days..

Sheena Blair
Sheffield, GB

How very interesting. My grandfather David Scott was the last manager of the bleaching mill, and was in charge at the time of the fire in 1971.  My grandmother Hannah Scott and he lived in Stormontfield most of their lives and my father Allan Scott was born there.  As a child I used to visit my grandparents in Stormontfield regularly and can remember most of the buildings, including Janetlea which was my grandmother’s house, and some of the people shown in your Photo Gallery.  I always thought it a great shame that little remained of the former village and it is nice to see that some of the memories have been preserved.

Ken Scott, Carnoustie.

Pamela MacDonald
Glasgow, GB

Excellent site, full of information, and I recognise lots of people in the school photos.